This tutorial from the HTML Fundamentals Class I taught at Clark College in Vancouver, Washington, is a guide that will show you how to:
- View the source code of a web page.
- How to save a web page to your computer
- How to view a saved web page on your computer
- How to open a web page in your text editor
- How to view the CSS/Stylesheet for a web page
- How to inspect the HTML and CSS of a web page
- How to view and edit a web page at the same time
To begin this tutorial, have your web browser and text editor open on your computer. It does not matter which browser or text editor you are using. The process is basically the same.
How to view the source code of a web page
- Go to a web page such as the test page for the class, Welcome to Lorelle VanFossen CTEC 122 HTML Fundamentals Class on the Clark Web Server.
- Right click on an empty space on the web page and choose View Page Source or View Source.
- The resulting popup window (or tab) will show you the underlying HTML structure of the page.
- You may save this to your hard drive or go back and save the entire web page to your computer.