The following video contains useful web browser tips to help you speed you your browsing, WordPress, and web design work.
Basic Web Browser Tips by Lorelle VanFossen for Clark College from Lorelle VanFossen
Please note that the video refers to the Windows keyboard shortcuts using the CTRL key. This is the equivalent to the CMD key on Mac.
For mobile devices, long presses usually activate the equivalent of keyboard shortcuts and right clicks, though not all of them may be available in the apps you are using.
Here are some of the specific tips covered in the video.
- Editing (just like in a word processor)
- CTRL+C = Copy
- CTRL+X = Cut
- CTRL+V = Paste
- CTRL+Z = Undo
- CTRL+T = Open New Tab
- F5 = Reload/Refresh Page
- Zoom in and out of a web page (magnify): CTRL+Plus and CTRL+Minus
- Right click on links on the page brings up the right click menu to access link specific options and features.
- Right click on blank or empty spaces on a web page brings up the right click menu for page specific options and features.
- Learn to open web pages in tabs not windows. This saves on computer memory issues and speeds up your browser process.
- Use Mouse and Keyboard shortcuts: CTRL + Left Click on Link = Opens Linked Page in New Tab
- Fast Navigation through Browser Tabs
- CTRL+T = Opens New Tab
- CTRL+1 = Goes to Tab #1
- CTRL+ 2, 3, 4, etc. goes to that tab number
- CTRL+Arrow = moves focus to next and previous tab
- Working on web page design or WordPress? Refresh and you don’t see changes? You need to clear the cache and do a "hard" clearing page reload. F5 or SHIFT+F5 OR do a Cache Refresh
- CTRL+F5 (Firefox and Chrome)
- CTRL+Shift+R (Firefox)
- CTRL + R (Chrome)
- (You may have to repeat a couple times)
- To view the source code of a web page: Right Click > View Page Source
- Web Developer Tools
- Use Built-in Web Developer Tools plus Firebug:
- Measure It: Measure It for Firefox or Measure It for Chrome
- Color Pickers: Colorzilla for Firefox and Chrome
- Copy Link as Proper HTML Link: CoLT for Firefox or Chrome Create Link or Chrome Copy Link Text
- For preserving and sharing code snippets on your site, in comments, forums, and social media use PasteBin: Pastebin for Firefox and Chrome
Pingback: Browser tips | Digimages
Pingback: Speed Blogging Tips and Techniques « Lorelle on WordPress